Your pet is your best friend, your fur baby, and a part of your family. No one wants their pet to be hurt or suffer and especially not die. But if you have introduced plants to your yard that are poisonous plants for pets, you’re putting everything at risk.
Poisonous plants for pets are everywhere. From everyday household plants to ornamental flower garden varieties, any plant you bring into your home or yard has the potential of being poisonous, and until you do the research, you should keep new plants far away from your furry friends.
The best course of action is to know what you’re buying before you buy it. Good pet parenting means constant vigilance. We cannot explain to them why not to eat a plant when all they want to do is eat that lovely smelling green thing in the garden.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF POISONOUS PLANTS FOR PETS?
Reactions occur shortly after ingestion, and it’s important to know the warning signs and symptoms of poisonous plants for pets. It’s not always evident that the culprit is a plant. Reactions vary wildly from mild nausea to death and are nothing to fool around with. Symptoms also vary by type of pet.
The most common symptoms of plant poisoning include:
- Changes in urine
- Stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
If your pet doesn’t ingest some highly toxic varieties of poisonous plants but merely rubs against them, they could suffer dermatological symptoms including:
WHAT DO I DO IF MY PET EATS POISONOUS PLANTS FOR PETS?
If you notice any strange symptoms in your pet or suspect ingestion or contact with a poisonous plant, take them to the vet quickly. If this is not immediately possible, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at 888-426-4435.
Take note of and write down every symptom they are showing and take a picture of the plant you suspect they ate. Different plants require different treatments; some have antidotes, and others need stomach pumping.
HOW CAN I AVOID PLANTING POISONOUS PLANTS FOR PETS IN MY YARD?
To best protect your pet from plant poisoning, you need to know what every plant in your yard is and research whether it’s poisonous.
Your lawn and yard are a point of pride and an investment in your home. Most homeowners work hard tending to yard work and lawn care, ensuring they have the perfect curbside appeal and a lush, green lawn. But if you’re not paying attention, you could be decorating your yard with poison.
Continue Reading : Are Lawn Mushrooms Poisonous
Common poisonous garden plants to avoid include, but are not limited to:
- Aloe vera-Toxic to dogs, cats, and horses and produces vomiting, lethargy, and diarrhea.
- Amaryllis-Toxic to dogs, cats, and horses and produces vomiting, depression, diarrhea, drooling, tremors.
- Azalea-Toxic to dogs, cats, and horses and produces vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, cardiac failure.
- Begonia-Toxic to dogs, cats, and horses and produces kidney failure, vomiting, drooling.
- Carnation-Toxic to dogs, cats, and horses, and produces mild gastrointestinal symptoms, mild dermatitis.
- Fern Palm-Toxic to dogs, cats, and horses and produces vomiting with blood, dark stools, jaundice, diarrhea with blood, liver failure, death.
- Lavender-Toxic to dogs, cats, and horses and produces nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite.
- Palm Lily-Toxic to dogs and cats and produces vomiting, depression, anorexia, dilated pupils in cats.
- Tomato Plant-Toxic to dogs, cats, and horses and produces loss of appetite, severe gastrointestinal upset, depression, weakness, slow heart rate. Ripe tomatoes are non-toxic.
- Wisteria-Toxic to dogs, cats, and horses and produces vomiting, diarrhea, depression.